Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Medifast and the Paradox of Choice



In The Paradox of Choice, author Barry Schwartz argues that too many choices can make people anxious and dissatisfied. He relates the story of shopping for a pair of jeans and being faced with a dizzying array of choices. Relaxed fit or baggy? Acid washed or distressed? Instead of being happy to have so many options, he was annoyed that buying a pair of jeans had turned into “a daylong project.”

So how does this relate to Medifast? Unlike most diets, Medifast severely restricts your choices. The magic of Medifast is that it is highly structured and simple to follow. You can learn all the rules of this fat melting diet in about five minutes.

Though my first Medifast order was hit or miss, I soon learned which foods I liked and which to steer clear of.  I typically eat the same replacement meals at about the same time each day, making it a no-brainer as to what I am going to eat when. I keep my lean & green meals fairly simple, too, getting creative only when I have the time or desire.
Do diets with too many choices cause anxiety?
Medifast is much stricter, yet simpler than such popular diets as Weight Watchers, which allows you to eat any food on the planet as long as you consume only a certain number of points per day. (Or, as one dieter joked, "Weight Watchers teaches you how to save up enough points to eat ice cream at night").

We may live in a free country, but too much freedom of choice can be overwhelming. When it comes to dieting, less can be more. For me, more simplicity and more structure resulted in more compliance and more weight loss. Whether I can maintain this weight loss when my choices return is yet to be seen.

If you're interested in learning more about how you can lose weight safely and more rapidly with the Medifast 5&1 plan, please visit my Take Shape for Life website

Don't want a free health coach?
Shop now for Medifast replacement meals through Amazon.


Similar posts:


My Cat Doesn't Know He's Fat

My Favorite Medifast Kitchen Gadgets

Medifast Vs. Lean Cuisine Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment