Thursday, January 23, 2014

Medifast Wisdom: Dr. Wayne Anderson Says Give in to Your Cravings

Medifast guru Dr. Wayne Anderson published a profound daily tip on his website recently in which he advised his followers to give in to their cravings. Sort of.

Here's what he wrote:

"The vast majority of our taste satisfaction- 95%- comes from the first few bites. When you have a hankering for something sweet, salty, creamy, extremely energy dense, or full of high-glycemic carbs, don’t just push that feeling away. Grab a teaspoon and take a bite. Just one. Wait a couple of minutes, and ask yourself “Am I satisfied?” Repeat up to three times over the next several minutes, while remaining in a mindful state. Ask yourself if continuing this behavior supports your primary goals."

From my experience, the co-founder of Medifast's Take Shape for Life program and author of Dr. A's Habits of Health: The path to permanent Weight Control and Optimal Healthis right. The more I resist my cravings, the more they persist.
Craving chocolate? Try eating just one square.

Fortunately, if I am craving something sweet or salty there is usually a Medifast replacement meal on hand -- like chocolatey brownies or chili cheese puffs -- to satisfy that craving. But in situations where a food looks just too good to pass up, I sometimes allow myself to indulge in just a taste. I do just as the good doctor suggests, chewing slowly and deliberately so that I fully savor the experience.

At an Italian restaurant recently, a friend ordered an appetizer of cheesy garlic bread that silently dared me to indulge. I served myself a miniscule portion and enjoyed it thoroughly without any guilt or remorse.

Cravings are a fact of life, and we do not always have to give in to them. But when they start to control our thoughts, we can take back our power using the principles of conscious eating and portion control.

Similar posts:

Dr. Oz Diet Vs. Medifast

My Favorite Medifast Hacks

Shop now for Medifast replacement meals through Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment