Sunday, January 12, 2014

Eating Out on Medifast: Finding Leanish & Greenish Meals on the Menu

If you're a foodie like I am, one of the worst parts about dining out on most diets is finding something on the menu that allows you to stay on plan. Thanks to the modern mania for low-carb eating, I have found this hoop relatively easy to jump through since starting Medifast almost four months ago.

On the Medifast diet I can eat one lean & green meal per day, which is basically 6-8 ounces of a lean protein (like chicken or shrimp), a huge serving of low-glycemic veggies and up to three healthy fat servings. Almost any restaurant menu, no matter how ethnic or home-style, offers options that follow this formula.

You can have healthy fats
like avocado on Medifast
At a basic American restaurant, for instance, I order a bun-less burger with mustard (turkey or veggie if they have it) and request extra salad with dressing on the side. I use the old Weight Watchers fork trick to get nano-drizzles of dressing with each salad bite and skip the fries, natch.

When I have a yen for Japanese, I double up on grilled Chicken Yakitori and Sunomono (cucumber salad) sans dressing. I top the salad with soy sauce (low sodium, preferably), rice vinegar and a dab of wasabi for that extra flavor kick.

Italian food without pasta has become a piece of cake for me. I look for an un-breaded grilled chicken, fish or seafood dish on the menu and a veggie side sautéed in olive oil and topped with grated Parmesan. Surprisingly, I don't really miss the noodles -- or that uncomfortably stuffed feeling later.

At Mexican restaurants my favorite thing to order is Pollo Asado with a side salad, subbing salsa for salad dressing. This is especially good with some avocado mixed in for creaminess.

The point is, before Medifast I was in the habit of eating way too many carbs when I ate out. I have been happily surprised by how delicious most restaurant food can be without them. I am even able to avoid the bread course or eat just a small bite of bread with a smidge of butter, savoring the experience as if I were sampling an expensive caviar.

Of course, none of these restaurant meals are perfectly on plan. It's hardly a secret that chefs like to sneak in butter and other high-fat flavorings whenever they can.

More importantly, I do the best I can with what is on the menu, knowing I am building life-long eating habits that will help me maintain my weight loss long after I have reached my final weight goal.
You can purchase Medifast replacement meals directly from Medifast Centers, the Medifast website or -- for less cost -- through the co-branded website of a Medifast TSFL health coach. Medifast does not recommend purchasing its products from third party vendors, but if you choose to do so, you can find them on both Amazon and eBay.

Medifast Custom Order - You Choose ANY 10 Boxes



More from Diet Skeptic:


Fruck You! Fructose

Can You Drink Alcohol on Medifast

Medifast Centers Vs. Take Shape for Life


Planned Exceptions: What Is Your Pie Policy?

Wabi Sabi Dieting & Renee Zelwegger's New Face
Follow Nancy's board Low Carb Recipes on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment