Friday, May 23, 2014

Gabourey Sidibe, Weight Loss and Self Love

Though it may seem easier to love yourself if you're at your ideal body weight, you may never reach your ideal body weight unless you love yourself.

Talk about a vicious circle.

Should your shape dictate how you feel about yourself?
What the woman in this picture knows is that if you feel good about yourself -- at any weight -- you can accomplish almost anything you want.

Take Gabourey Sidibe, who has taken more heat for her weight than almost any woman on the planet. When Barbara Walters asked her to name the downside of fame, the "Precious" actress said, "Public opinion," adding: "The upside is that I've never felt more powerful. And I'm strong. And I'm amazing. And I know that."

At the 2012 Women In Entertainment Symposium, the 300+ pound Sidibe said, 'When I was 21 or 22 I just decided that life wasn’t worth living if I wasn’t happy with myself so I just took all the steps that I could to figure out how to love myself and become confident."
Gabourey Sidibe at Sundance

Before she became famous, the Brooklyn native received disturbing advice from actress Joan Cusack. "Oh honey, you should really quit the business, it's so image-conscious."

"I think she really, really meant it in a good way," said the woman who has won myriad best actress awards from film critics, "but I was like 'Oh, please don't tell me to quit my job!'"

As a Medifast Take Shape for Life health coach, I believe people are healthier when they achieve a higher level of fitness, but I don't equate being skinny with being happy. I love having my jeans fit without having to hold my breath when I zip them, but that doesn't mean I love myself more than I did when I was 35 pounds heavier.

Instead of being horrified by Gabourey Sidibe's large size, I am inspired by her large spirit. Earlier this year she put haters in their place after they tweeted mean comments about her appearance at the Golden Globe awards. "To people making mean comments about my GG pics I mos def cried about it on that private jet on my way to my dream job last night. #JK," she tweeted back.

Some of my best friends weigh more than I do, but they exude self-confidence because they love and accept who they. Numbers on a scale do not dictate their worth.

So change how you eat if you want to be healthier, but figure out how to love yourself first.

You can purchase Medifast replacement meals directly from Medifast Centers, the Medifast website or -- for no extra cost -- through the co-branded website of a Medifast TSFL health coach. Medifast does not recommend purchasing its products from third party vendors, but if you choose to do so, you can find them on both Amazon and eBay.

Medifast replacement meals on Amazon

Similar posts:

How Medifast Helped Me Develop Better Habits

Medifast Centers Vs. DIY Medifast


My Favorite Medifast Kitchen Gadgets


Medifast Vs. Lean Cuisine Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment