Thursday, May 1, 2014

Medifast Flavors of Home Review: Turkey Meatball Marinara

Great meal or total fail?

That's what I wondered before tasting my first Medifast Flavors of Home entree,Turkey Meatball Marinara.
My sauce didn't look this thick. Maybe it was my microwave.

Let's just say it's better than meh, but not quite mouth watering.

After removing the cooked meal from the microwave, my first thought was it looked kind of soupy. I wondered if I made it wrong, but after reading other people's comments online, I think that's how it's supposed to be.

Here's how Medifast describes its new lean & green entree: "Turkey Meatball Marinara features hearty turkey meatballs and veggies in a tangy marinara sauce."

For me, the sauce was more bland than tangy, but I didn't really mind the taste. If I were to make this meal again, I would add some garlic, basil and maybe cumin -- or melt in a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese.

The meatballs were better than the sauce. They had a nice meatbally texture and were incredibly filling. In fact, I wasn't hungry for at least four hours after I ate this meal.

The vegetables -- squash, mushrooms, and red bell peppers -- are melded into the sauce a la Jessica Seinfeld so I can't comment on them. But this is probably the perfect meal for people who don't like veggies since you can hardly see or taste them.

Since I do like vegetables, I would probably add zoodles (noodles made out of zucchinni) to this meal if I were to buy it again. (I am no longer on the 5&1 Plan and can eat more than the allotted amount of  vegetables.) On second thought, this meal would be great with one of the new Medifast mashed potatoes varieties (either the garlic or sour cream and chives).

Medifast came out with the Flavors of Home meals to give people a way to stay OP (on plan) on those hectic days they can't make their own lean & green meal. At only 290 calories and with just the right ratios of carbs, protein and fat, the Turkey Meatball Marinara is way better than grabbing a salty Lean Cuisine from Safeway.

And that's saying a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment