Friday, February 7, 2014

Beyond Medifast: Developing a Weight Control Mindset

Since reaching a scale weight and body shape that I'm relatively happy with, my biggest challenge has become maintaining my weight loss. It would be easy to rationalize eating whatever I want now that I'm no longer "on a diet."

The other day, for instance, a colleague literally walked up to me with a plate of devilcious brownies and offered me one. The old me would have happily obliged but, since losing 30 pounds via Medifast, my hand did not reflexively reach out for that moment of chewy chocolaty bliss. Instead I said, "No thank you," since I am able to simulate that heavenly feeling with my Medifast brownie soft bakes, which have fewer calories and more nutritional value.

Whenever I'm tempted to indulge, I remember what  Rhoda Morgenstern said 
on the "Mary Tyler Moore Show" as she was about to eat a piece of candy: 
"I don't know why I'm putting this in my mouth. I should just apply it directly to my hips.
Reaching my goal weight has been satisfying and somewhat scary at the same time. Any time I consume calories beyond what I'm used to, I'm convinced that I'll step on the scale the next morning and see a five-pound weight gain. Though my conscious mind knows this is not possible, I have been on high alert so long my food-o-meter is skewed. Any deviation from Medifast replacement meals, greens, and lean protein makes me nervous.

At the same time, adding forbidden foods back has been fun. One of my favorite new snacks is sliced apples and a couple of cubes of sharp cheddar cheese. The cheese not only cuts the sugar from the apple so my blood sugar level doesn't soar, its protein helps me feel full. Sweet mini peppers and hummus are another favorite between-meal snack that has become a staple in my post-Medifast diet.

The trick for me is packing healthy snacks for work and outings that not only taste good, but prevent me from eating the empty calorie treats that would otherwise tempt me.

So far I have not gained back a single pound since reaching my goal weight a month ago. Whether I can maintain this weight loss long-term is the $64,000 question.

You can purchase Medifast replacement meals directly from Medifast Centers, the Medifast website or -- for no extra cost -- through the co-branded website of a Medifast TSFL health coach. Medifast does not recommend purchasing its products from third party vendors, but if you choose to do so, you can find them on both Amazon and eBay.

Medifast replacement meals on Amazon

Similar posts:

Can You Drink Alcohol on Medifast?


How Medifast Helped Me Develop Better Habits

Medifast Centers Vs. DIY Medifast


Irrational Numbers: Doing the Math on Medifast Popcorn

Medifast Vs. Lean Cuisine Diet

Visit my other blogs:

Fit Kitty

Food Trends 


Bookish

Dictionary Woman

Follow Nancy's board Medifast on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment