Monday, April 28, 2014

Medifast Zoodles and Meat Sauce

After sitting on my counter for a week, I finally got up the nerve to try my new Veggetti Spiral Vegetable Cutter.

This nifty little tool, which magically makes spaghetti-like strands out of a zucchini, became all the rage on one of my Medifast Facebook groups this month after one of our members bought one and posted a picture of his zoodle (zucchini noodle) dinner. I took the plunge and ordered one from Amazon.

What took me so long?

Even though I am no longer in weight-loss mode, I had been shying away from carb-laden noodles since losing 35 pounds on Medifast.

No more!

Now I can make my own no-guilt noodles out of vegetables.

As the Veggetti package says, four cups of pasta is 800 calories. Same amount of zucchini? A mere 60 calories! Even more impressive, a one-cup serving of cooked spaghetti has 40 grams of carbohydrates; zucchini, only 6!

Not every pasta substitute passes muster. Though some people are perfectly happy with spaghetti squash, I could take it or leave it. Plus it's a lot of work to cook the squash and scoop out the strands.

The Veggetti noodles, in contrast, are a snap to make. I just stuck the zucchini into the gadget's opening and turned clockwise while exerting gentle pressure. In just seconds I had a bowl full of beautiful zoodles.

You can eat zoodles raw, zap them or saute in a pan. I did the latter, using a smidge of olive oil and Trader Joe's garlic spice blend. I had a package of Trader Joe's Turkey Bolognese sauce in the freezer and heated that up for my sauce.

Here is the result:

Mmmmm... zoodles and meat sauce! Mangia!

Though the zoodles may look crunchy in the picture, they were actually softer than they appear, more akin to al dente spaghetti. Even my m&p husband said I could sub them for pasta any time I want.

For lasagne lovers, there is a wide noodle blade on the flip side of the Veggetti that can be used to make either lasagne noodles or fettucine. Or even chow fun!

What's weird is I had deliberated over what vegetable slicer to get for a long time and had my eye on the more expensive Paderno Spiralizer. The Veggetti is not only cheaper, it's much smaller and seems way easier to clean. I won't be able to make all the fancy schmancy shapes I could with the Paderno, but I'm a lot more likely to use it.



You can purchase Medifast replacement meals directly from Medifast Centers, the Medifast website or -- for no extra cost -- through the co-branded website of a Medifast TSFL health coach. Medifast does not recommend purchasing its products from third party vendors, but if you choose to do so, you can find them on both Amazon and eBay.

Medifast replacement meals on Amazon

Similar posts: 

How Medifast Helped Me Develop Better Habits

Medifast Centers Vs. DIY Medifast


Irrational Numbers: Doing the Math on Medifast Popcorn

Medifast Vs. Lean Cuisine Diet

Visit my other blogs:

Fit Kitty

Food Trends 


Bookish

Dictionary Woman

Follow Nancy's board Medifast on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment