Sunday, April 27, 2014

Medifast Mashed Potatoes Review

Before I review the new Medifast mashed potatoes, I have to confess that even in my pre-Medifast days one of my guilty pleasures was making mashed potatoes from a box. I loved the smooth creamy texture of these potatoes, along with the lazy day convenience of not having to peel, chop, boil and mash real ones.

Even though I am no longer aiming to lose weight through Medifast, I decided to order both the new sour cream and chives mashed potatoes and garlic mashed potatoes so I could advise my clients and review them on my blog. My hope was they would be similar enough to the boxed mashed potatoes I could recommend them.

And they are.

So far I have tried only the garlic mashed potatoes so this review will pertain only to that variety. The Medifast garlic mashed potatoes had a nice creamy consistency and enough flavor from the garlic to satisfy any boxed mashed potato fan. It was comfort food at its finest.

Since I no longer have to confine myself to low-glycemic vegetables, I Martha'd my mashed potatoes with some fresh organic roasted beets and mixed the two together for a surprisingly satisfying meal.
Medifast garlic mashed potatoes with
fresh roasted red and yellow beets





Do keep in mind that beets are not allowed on the Medifast 5&1 Plan since they are considered high-glycemic vegetables. But if you have already reached your desired body weight, buy the freshest beets you can, drizzle with a little olive oil, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, sprinkle on some sea salt, and roast in the oven at 425 until fork tender (about 25 minutes).

C'était délicieux.

In addition to the Medifast garlic mashed potatoes passing the taste and texture test, they also passed the easy-to-make test. Just add half a cup of water, stir with a fork and microwave. Even a Mr. Potato Head monkey could do this.

If you want to get creative, You Tube vlogger Medifast MetallicaMom used her Babycakes doughnut maker to make knishes out of them and the Medifast blog had a yummy-looking recipe for potato pancakes using the sour cream and chives mashed potatoes. You can also add more or less water or melt in a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese to change the flavor and texture. Instead of beets, combine with a legal Medifast 5&1 vegetable like broccoli, mushrooms or spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment