Saturday, May 23, 2015

Fun Twists on the Serenity Prayer

Having just celebrated a birthday, I can tell you growing older has more pluses than minuses. One of the biggest perks is knowing what to pay attention to and what to ignore.

In other words, living by the first stanza of the serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

For instance, there's not much I can do about war in the Middle East or jerkwads people who take up two parking spaces.

Nor can I cause it to rain in California.

Or make Wall Street bankers have integrity.

Not fretting about things I cannot change gives me more energy to do things that are under my control. Like being kind to other people, learning something new every day and taking care of my health.

My experience has taught me I cannot directly change other people's behavior, but I can change how I respond. Which, in some cases, changes the behavior.

Sometimes role modeling the behavior I want reflected back works, too.

But, ultimately, I am responsible only for my behavior. It's up to others to manage their lives as they see fit.

Not that there aren't times I wish I could disappear annoying people:



But most of the time I am able to cope with a little help from my friends and a healthy dollop of humor:


Not to mention mind altering beverages:


Although, in some cases, I just have to fake it.


Maybe that's why I like my cats so much. There is nothing I can do to control them, and I am totally good with that.

So what does this all have to do with eating healthy or gaining optimal health?

Letting go of things we cannot change gives us more energy to control the things we can.

For instance:

I can't control if someone brings in cupcakes to work, but I can choose if I eat one.

I can't control if someone tries to cajole me into eating something I don't want, but I can say "no thank you."

I can't control if something bad happens to me and I want to comfort myself with food, but I can choose to do something else that makes me feel better.

In other words, I can choose to be a sunflower growing toward the light instead of a hapless clump of seaweed tossed by the waves.

And to feel serene knowing that some crazy lawn mower could mow over me at any time.




More from Diet Skeptic:

Why I'm Addicted to Chia Seeds


Why Fat Head Pizza Is the Holy Grail of Low Carb Pizzas 

The Shocking Truth About Imported Olive Oil
 

Making Cauliflower Rice in the Vitamix 

Why WebMD Doesn't Want You to Get Well



Follow Nancy's board Low Carb Recipes on Pinterest



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, its nice to see someone keep their weight off after medifast and not use their products still...you have great advice and tips on your blog, thank you

    ReplyDelete