Monday, September 1, 2014

Diet Psychology: Focus on the Food That's Already in Your Mouth

I was reading one of my old articles on mindful eating guru Geneen Roth's reaction to losing her life's savings after investing in Bernie Madoff's pyramid scheme; and one of Roth's insights really resounded with me:

"My relationship to money was no different from my relationship to food, to love, to fabulous sweaters: I never felt as if I had enough. I was always focused on the bite that was yet to come, not the one in my mouth."

So true.

I sometimes catch myself chewing my food really fast just so I can take the next bite and re-experience the high that comes from the fresh burst of flavors hitting my taste buds. The partially chewed food in my mouth becomes the proverbial "chopped liver" -- no longer meriting my respect or attention. Like the way you feel when the person you're talking to at the party looks around for someone more interesting.

Author Geneen Roth writes brilliantly
about our dysfunctional relationship
with food
As Roth so profoundly implies, unless we focus on the experience we are having in the present moment, we are never going to feel satisfied. How can we have "enough" when we are forever preoccupied with the promise of something better?

The whole idea of mindful eating is really a metaphor for focusing on what is good about our life in the present. The more we plan ahead or pine for more, the less we enjoy the people and things that comprise our world.

I may not have a wardrobe of fabulous sweaters, but I own more black tops than a roomful of mourners. Each one I find is far better than the ones already sitting neatly folded on my shelf (okay, may not so neatly folded). Or so I tell myself.


Whether it's an over-stuffed closet or an over-stuffed body, the result is the same. Too much. But never enough.

So today I'm going to take the time to savor each bite of food and wear a forgotten article of clothing in my closet I once thought I could not live without.

How about you?

You can purchase Medifast replacement meals directly from Medifast Centers, the Medifast website or -- for no extra cost -- through the co-branded website of a Medifast TSFL health coach. Medifast does not recommend purchasing its products from third party vendors, but if you choose to do so, you can find them on both Amazon and eBay.

Medifast replacement meals on Amazon

Similar posts:

The Link Between Hoarding and Overeating


How Medifast Helped Me Develop Better Habits

Medifast Centers Vs. DIY Medifast


Irrational Numbers: Doing the Math on Medifast Popcorn

Medifast Vs. Lean Cuisine Diet

Visit my other blogs:

Player

Fit Kitty

Food Trends 


Bookish

Dictionary Woman

Best Parenting Tips Ever

Follow Nancy's board Medifast on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment