Thursday, July 3, 2014

How "Just for Today" Thinking Can Help You Avoid Taco Bell

Sometimes it can be daunting when you're on a diet and know you will not be eating bread, pizza or -- in the case of Medifast -- even healthy fruits like watermelon for several months.

That's where it helps to think like a recovering alcoholic. Anyone familiar with AA knows the phrase, "Just for today..." which is completed by various statements such as "I will try to live through this day only and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime."

I was reminded of the "Just for today" thought twisting technique this morning when I read a friend's powerful post on Facebook:
"The struggle is truly real. I had to try so hard tonight not to get Taco Bell. It took all my willpower not to. I even got in the drive thru and changed my mind when it was my turn to order. I was also stuck. 3 cars behind me and about 5 in front of me .

"I came home and made 2 lean turkey burgers and broccoli and sriracha. Every day is a battle. At least I won today. #battlealldayeveryday #25down60togo"
I don't know about you, but I have never driven away from a Taco Bell drive-in window empty handed. Once I found myself sandwiched between other cars, I would probably shrug my shoulders and order something, even if it was not the cheese-oozing carb-loaded item I had originally craved.

When I was in my active weight loss phase, Medifast was a helpful tool in avoiding Taco Bell and the like since there are few foods at fast food joints I could "legally" eat. But if you're on a more generalized eating regime like low-carb or Weight Watchers in which a greater variety of foods are acceptable, you might find yourself in the jaws of temptation more often.

And that's when you have to make a decision for just that moment. Because moments add up to hours which add up to days and weeks and decades. Having to make a decision for what you will five years from now is pretty scary, but you can make a decision that just for today you will make choices that serve your goals.

So here's my "Just for today" affirmation for those who are modifying their eating to lose weight and gain optimal health.
"Just for today I will choose only foods that nourish my body and melt off fat. I can eat consciously for 12 hours knowing that it would totally freak me out if I thought I could never eat fried chicken or French fries again."
For more like this, see 34 Positive Thoughts Just for Today
You can purchase Medifast replacement meals directly from Medifast Centers, the Medifast website or -- for no extra cost -- through the co-branded website of a Medifast TSFL health coach. Medifast does not recommend purchasing its products from third party vendors, but if you choose to do so, you can find them on both Amazon and eBay.

Medifast replacement meals on Amazon

Similar posts:

How Medifast Helped Me Develop Better Habits

Medifast Centers Vs. DIY Medifast


My Favorite Medifast Kitchen Gadgets


Medifast Vs. Lean Cuisine Diet

Visit my other blogs:

Fit Kitty

Food Trends 


Bookish

Dictionary Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment