Saturday, April 11, 2015

Medifast Brownies and Almond Butter -- My New Favorite Breakfast

I have been off the Medifast 5&1 Plan since February of last year, but there is one Medifast replacement meal I still eat on a regular basis -- the brownie soft bake.

Photo courtesy of Escape from Obesity blog.
This version has peanut butter but I prefer almond butter.
For the last few months, my breakfast nearly every morning has been a Medifast brownie soft bake mixed with 3T of water, microwaved for 35 seconds (so it is not fully cooked), and then topped with a spoonful of almond butter. It's like eating a Reese's peanut butter cup for breakfast!

What I love about this breakfast (besides the taste and texture!) is that I usually feel full for about four hours so I am not even tempted to snack between breakfast and lunch. I'm not sure how much the almond butter is a factor, but most likely it adds satiety because the fat -- combined with 4g of fiber -- slows down the digestion of the protein and carbs from the Medifast brownie soft bake.

This breakfast travels easily with me on the road since pretty much every hotel or relative's house has a microwave. And I can prepare it in less than three minutes (counting the blending of the magic powder and water).

In addition to the brownie flavor, I have also made this breakfast with the chocolate chip and gingerbread soft bakes, both of which are perfectly fine in a pinch. But the brownie is my favorite since chocolate is a natural complement to the nutty flavor of the almond butter.

Occasionally, I will even turn this meal into a shake by adding some crushed ice and almond or cashew milk to the brownie powder and almond butter and blending in my NutriBullet. It's the perfect on-the-go breakfast in the car when I'm late for work -- and a much healthier alternative to Carnation Instant Breakfast which contains a whopping 20g (that's 5 teaspoons!) of poison sugar.



More from Diet Skeptic:

Why I'm Addicted to Chia Seeds


Why Fat Head Pizza Is the Holy Grail of Low Carb Pizzas 

The Shocking Truth About Imported Olive Oil
 

Making Cauliflower Rice in the Vitamix 

Why WebMD Doesn't Want You to Get Well



Follow Nancy's board Low Carb Recipes on Pinterest



No comments:

Post a Comment